With our NEW Online Membership Application it has never been easier to join Cara Credit Union.
Please note only single accounts and juvenile can be opened online at present
Please review the steps below before completing your online membership application:
Once you live and/or work within our Common Bond you are eligible to to join Cara Credit Union.
To Join you need:
- Minimum lodgement of €5.00 in to your Shares (Savings) Account.
To remain an active member you must have a minimum of €5.00 in your Account at all times.
Under the Criminal Justice Act 2010 to open an account in a financial institution including Cara Credit Union you must produce:
1: Photographic ID: A current driving licence or a current passport. (ML10 forms can not be accepted.)
2. Proof of Address: dated within the last 6 months a utility bill, government letter or bank statement. Please ensure you have your eircode with you.
3. Proof of PPS Number: (Personal Public Service Number) Proof of P60, P45, Payslip, Medical Card or correspondence from the tax office.
PLEASE NOTE: Public Services Card no longer a viable source of Photographic ID or Proof of PPS Number
Please Note: New account openings in branch:
Tralee Branch:New account openings are appointment based in our Tralee branch. To book an appointment please call us on (066) 71 22373.
Castleisland Branch: New accounts are opened Monday- Wednesday with last account opening 30 mins before closing hours.
Killorglin Branch: New accounts are opened Monday- Friday with last account opening 30 mins before closing hours.
Ballyduff Branch: New accounts are opened Monday- Friday with last account opening 30 mins before closing hours.(Please note branch is closed from 1pm-2pm daily)
Causeway Branch: New accounts are opened during branch opening hours with last account opening 30 mins before closing hours.
Corca Dhuibhne Branch: New accounts are opened during branch opening hours with last account opening 30 mins before closing hours.
As credit unions are not a specified entity listed under the Social Welfare Consolidation Act 2008 (the 2008 act as amended) we can no longer accept the Public Services card as a source of Photographic ID or Proof of PPS Number.
You are never too young to join Cara Credit Union. For Newborn to 16 years you will need:
1. Photographic I.D.: Original child’s birth certificate is mandatory. If the child has a passport as well as a birth certificate we ask you bring this also.
2. Proof of Address: parent(s) guardian(s) utility bill, government letter or bank statement dated within the last 6 months. Please ensure you have your eircode with you.
3. Proof of PPS Number: Proof of the child’s Personal Public Service Number on an official document or card.
Photo ID (drivers licence or passport) is needed for parent(s)/guardian wishing to have withdrawal rights on the account. Parents(s)/guardians wishing to have these rights on the account need to be present when account is being opened.
PLEASE NOTE ANY CHILDREN FROM AGE OF 7 MUST BE PRESENT WITH THEIR PARENT OR GUARDIAN WHEN OPENING THE ACCOUNT.
Both parents/ guardians need to be present at the opening of the account if both wish to be authorised on the account (up to the child’s 7th birthday).(Please note parents can only withdraw up to the age of 7. Once the child turns 7 both the parent and child need to be present for withdrawals)
PLEASE NOTE: Money in a child’s account is the sole property of the child and no other person (including the parent/guardian) is entitled to use this money for his/her benefit. For withdrawal rights on minor accounts, please call us on 066 712 2373.
A parent or guardian can open an account for a child from Newborn up to 16 years. From the age of 7 the child must be present at the time of opening the account. While a grandparent etc can lodge funds to these accounts, only a parent/guardian authorised on the account can withdraw funds.
Did you know that you can now have your Child Benefit paid into your own credit union account. For further information go to our Banking section.
Three officers of the Club/Society must be authorised to open the Account.
We will also require a letter on the Club/Society’s official headed paper confirming that the three persons are authorised to open a Club Account on behalf of the committee. The letter must also state that they are authorised to operate and withdraw from this account.
- The name of the club/society is to be the name on the Account.
- The Account must be opened by at least 3 officers of the club/society.
- Each officer must produce Photographic ID for opening and operating the Account.
- Each officer must provide Proof of Address
- Proof of Address must also be given to send all correspondence relating to this Account.
If you think you may have an account and have not used it in some time, there is no need to join again. You are still a member. Your Account can be reactivated by calling in with:
1. Photographic ID: a current driving licence or a current passport
2. Proof of Address: dated in the last 6 months a utility bill, government letter or bank statement. Please ensure you have your eircode with you.
Dormant Accounts: Rule 22 of the Standard Rules for Credit Unions: Dormant Accounts
The credit union may deal with shares and deposit accounts as hereinafter provided when there has been no member initiated transaction on the account for a period of three years and when no reply has been received within thirty days from the member to a notice sent, by ordinary post, to him/her at his/her last known address, of intent by the credit union to close the account(s). Dividends and interest shall continue to be payable on such accounts.