Our new Cara Credit Union Current Account gives you a real choice for your day-to-day financial needs.
- Instant access to your money through a Mastercard Debit Card
- A secure app and online portal
- Mobile functionality
- Pay bills
- Withdraw cash and pay at point of sale, anywhere in the world.
How to open a Current Account & Apply for a Debit Card:
Already a member?
- Online: If you are registered for our CU Online + Banking you can apply for a Current Account and Debit Card By Clicking Here (Please note, for joint accounts, you will need to call in to our branches to open a joint account). Not registered for online banking, Click Here to Register.
- Call us: Call us on 066 712 2373 and we can post you an application form.
- In Person : Visit our Branches in Tralee, Castleisland. Killorglin, Ballyduff & Causeway.
Not a member?
- Online: To start your application for membership please click here
What you need:
- Photographic ID: Current driving licence, a current passport or other suitable form of Photographic ID (with date of birth)
- Address: Dated in the last 6 months, a utility bill, government letter or bank statement. Please note you will be asked for your Eircode.
- PPS Number: (Personal Public Service Number) Proof of P60, P45, Payslip, Medical Card or correspondence from the tax office.
PLEASE NOTE: Remember your Current Account is not eligible for a dividend nor does it qualify for our FREE insurance services, so only keep sufficient funds for everyday banking, all other funds should remain in your Shares (Savings) Account. If you would like to lodge funds to you savings account you can do so by using CU Online + Banking or ask in-branch for a Disbursement Form.
Click on the Blue Links to OPEN. Click it again to CLOSE
Features & Benefits:
- Easy to sign up
- Same friendly service
- Globally accepted Mastercard Debit Card
- Use in-store , online or at ATMs
- Cashback available at participating retailers.
- Countless payments
- Transparent Fees
- Overdraft for unexpected expenses
- No surcharge interest on overdraft
- Automate regular payments using Standing Order & Direct Debits
- Stay in control with our Mobile App, eStatements and eFee Advices
- Secure online shopping
- 24/7 support for lost/stolen debit cards
A safer, contactless way to pay.
We are pleased to bring you a safer way to pay, giving you the freedom to securely spend without a €50 contactless limit, touch-free with Apple Pay. You can now use your Apple device to pay with your Credit Union Debit Card wherever you see the Apply Pay or Contactless logo in store, online or in-app. It’s a safer contactless way to pay.
Apple Pay is easy to set up. Simply add your Debit Card to your iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, or Mac, and start using Apple Pay on that device right away.
Apple Pay is a trademark of Apple Inc. Mastercard is a registered trade mark, and the circles design is a trade mark of Mastercard International Incorporated. The debit card is issued by Transact Payments Malta Limited pursuant to licence by Mastercard International.
Cara Credit Union is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
You can now use Google pay and Fitbit pay to make contactless payments wherever you see the contactless payment mark. Available now with your Current Account debit card from Cara Credit Union! Click on the icon for more….
SWITCHING YOUR CURRENT ACCOUNT
At Cara Credit Union we make the switching process as convenient and simple as possible so that you can enjoy banking with us straight away.
The switching process starts on the date you indicate on your Account Transfer Form. Under the Code of Conduct for the Switching of Payment Accounts with Payment Service Providers 2016, the old bank (where you have your existing account) must ensure that all steps are taken to facilitate moving your account within 7 working days of the switching date to us and the Credit Union (as your new Current Account provider) must ensure that all steps are taken to open your new account within 10 working days of the switching date.
How to withdraw funds
- Call In: you can withdraw funds from our offices in Tralee, Castleisland, Killorglin, Ballyduff & Causeway.
- ATM: You can withdraw funds from any ATM in Ireland and Internationally.
- In Store (point of sale): You can use your Debit Card to get Cashback when using it for a purchase in store (The cashback facility is at the discretion of the retailer.)
How to transfer funds
When setting up electronic payments for this Account, (Direct Debits, Bill Pay, Electronic Funds Transfers) please use your IBAN and Cara Credit Union BIC (which you will receive in the post following opening the account) as these payments will be processed through SEPA. For further details click here for SEPA
To lodge funds:
- When lodging funds electronically to your Account, please submit a CU Disbursement Form to Cara Credit Union.
A CU Disbursement Form tells Cara Credit Union where you would like your lodged funds to go: in to your Shares, your Loan or in to your Current Account.
Without a CU Disbursement Form, Cara Credit Union will automatically lodge your funds to your Loan (if due for payment or loan is in arrears) and balance to your Shares (savings) Account. If you don’t have a loan (due or in arrears) it will go directly to your Shares. Download the CU Disbursement Form here CU Disbursement Form fill in and return to our offices.
HOW TO LODGE FUNDS
Electronic Payments (you may need your IBAN and BIC click here for details)
Electronic Fund Transfers Your Wages, most Social Welfare Payments and Pension.
2. Online through your Bank’s Online Banking facility. Please reference Current Account when lodging funds to this Account.
3. Direct Debit: you can set up a regular payment (direct debit) from your Bank Account to your credit union account. Please visit Cara Credit Union to set up a Direct Debit.
Your Bank can also do this, by visiting your Bank and setting up a Standing Order. Please have your Cara Credit Union IBAN and BIC with you.
4. Payroll Deduction Scheme Any company can set up a Payroll Deduction Scheme with Cara Credit Union.
5. At the counter in our Tralee , Castleisland, Killorglin Ballyduff or Causeway Branches. Express Lodge (Tralee office only) or by phone (Laser/Debit Card Accepted). * Please note: Lodged cheques will take 6 days to clear.
Please note share withdrawals may be restricted if you have a loan, and may affect your Life Savings Insurance Cover for members aged 55 years and over.
Shopping Online Is Changing From 1st January 2021.
The final changes under the second Payment Services Directive, also known as PSD2 comes into full force from 1st January 2021. PSD2 will mean changes to how you shop online from 1st January 2021.
These changes relate to the implementation of Strong Customer Authentication, also referred to as SCA. This means that you will need to carry out an additional security step before you complete your online shopping by using a one-time passcode which you will receive by text.
These changes mean better protection for you and will make shopping online even more secure.
What do I need to do?
To continue to shop online with your Current Account debit card, you need to make sure your Credit Union has the correct mobile number for you so that you can receive the one-time passcode required to complete your online shopping transaction.
You can update your mobile number by contacting your Credit Union on 066 712 2373.
How to minimise your bank fees and charges
The easiest way to minimise is to sign up for Online Banking. Our Online Banking, cuOnline + ,allows you reduce the level of your fees where possible:
- When you use your Cara Credit Union Mastercard Debit Card at a point of sale request cashback as part of the same transaction. (The cashback facility is at the discretion of the retailer.)
- Use our Internet Banking or App to pay bills, transfer funds from one account to another or check the balance and transactions on your account.
- Set up you regular direct debits for bill payments (eg) insurance, mortgages, and subscriptions. This means you will not have to withdraw funds from an ATM saving you money and ensuring that your bills are always paid on time.
- Use Contactless on your Cara Credit Union Debit Card to pay for goods and services all over Ireland.
- Sign up for Online Banking to print FREE statements from the comfort of your own home.
Sign up for Online Banking by clicking here
Whether it’s in a really safe place? or simply gone AWOL, the first step is to report your Debit Card lost or stolen. Follow these simple steps to do this:
How do I report my Current Account Debit Card lost or stolen?
- Report your Current Account Debit Card lost or stolen by calling the Customer Services Team who are available for fraud support 24/7 on +353 (1) 693 3333
- You can also report your Current Account Debit Card lost or stolen by calling us on where we’ll be happy to get things sorted for you.
You can suspend your Debit Card online
Once registered to use online, you can simply log in and suspend your own Debit Card if you have temporarily lost the card or are suspicious of transactions relating to your Debit Card Activity
As soon as you believe your Debit Card has been lost or stolen or notice unusual account activity relating to your Debit Card, please contact us immediately on +353 (1) 693 3333
We will cancel your card as soon as you tell us it’s missing and will get a new card issued to your address (the one we have on file for you) in 5-7 business days.
How can I request a refund on my Debit Card?
Members will have 120 days to dispute a transaction on their Debit Card for the following reasons:
- Duplicated transaction
- Goods not received
- Cancelled subscription not actioned
- Received goods not as described
- Refund not processed after 30 days
- Transaction not recognised
- Free Trials
- Car Rentals
If you have identified a transaction that you are suspicious of on your Debit Card, you must contact your Credit Union or Credit Union Card Services team immediately on +353 1 6933333
A disputed transaction request initiates a ‘chargeback’ which alerts a request to the merchant to reverse the transaction on a Debit Card.
Members must complete and return a ‘Disputed Transaction’ form along with copies of any:
- Detailed cover letter advising the nature of the dispute
- Proof of purchase
- Evidence of the transaction
- Interactions with the company (emails/letters)
To be returned to their Credit Union to complete a ‘chargeback’ request.
When you use your Debit Card for purchases in foreign currency or ATM withdrawals in foreign currency, these transaction will attract additional fees and charges that are charged to your Current Account as they occur, typically on the date the transaction is posted to your Current Account.
Mastercard foreign exchange rates will also apply and are subject to change.
This currency conversion calculator allows you to see the foreign exchange rates set by Mastercard to convert from the transaction currency as well as the European Central Bank’s euro foreign exchange reference rates for the EEA country currencies and the fees and charges that apply.